The Service manager team announced support for SharePoint 2010 SP2. This support allows the installation of the Self-Service portal on Windows Server 2012/2012 R2.
When you attempt to install SharePoint 2010 without SP2 on a Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 the installation is blocked. This is not the case when you use Windows Server 2008 R2 as you have the option to apply SP2 post installation.
You must use a slipstreamed SP2 version of SharePoint 2010 media for installations on Server 2012/2012 R2. This is available as part of your volume license downloads or MSDN subscription download. You can use the free version of SharePoint (foundation edition).
- Download the slipstreamed SharePoint 2010 SP2. The link for the foundation edition is here (the file size is approximately 200MB).
- Install OS (server 2012 /2012 R2)
- Install SCSM Portal Prerequisites and perform Service Manager management server service account delegation
- Install SharePoint 2010 with SP2 slipstreamed
- Apply SP2 for SQL 2008 R2 Express if you installed SharePoint 2010 Foundation
- Install SCSM Self-Service Portal
You can download the steps I followed with screenshots here SM_SSP_SP2010SP2Doc